[MCR] rockies, Healy Pass area

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Apr 1 20:39:01 EDT 2010

Guided a ski tour to the Healy Pass area today, April 1 (no, I'm not
foolin'). 100 meters of boot packing to the top of a 2520 m unamed
peak 2 km NE of Healy Pass. We had some large whumpfs and settlements
on the broad, flat ridge that we skinned up to the peak. One of these
settlements remotely triggered a 1.5 meter deep cornice that I think
was formed during the March 28/29th storm. The cornice was on the NE
aspect of the ridge we were ascending. The cornice was 35 meters away
from us and failed about 70 meters wide, it triggered a slab on the
slope below that stepped down 50 centimetres and ran for about 80
meters. Lots of fridge and deep freeze sized blocks in the debris,
and it looked to be about a size 2. We skied 4 laps on the shallow
west facing slopes of the ridge ( at the most, 25 degrees for short
sections). Good skiing with 30 cms of new snow.

www.barryblanchard.ca