[MCR] Coast Mountains, Hope Creek, Large Avalanche

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Apr 22 01:12:35 EDT 2010

I just got this from Backcountry Snowcats and figured I would post it because it is the first large spring avalanche I have heard of on the coast. The slope was about 700m wide, 600m vertical, 35-40deg with almost no transition to the flat of the lake at the base. It is west facing and the crown was at approximately 2200m with the runout and lake at 1400m

With this came reports of large slides off the North face of Mt Currie.

Be carefull out there! Watch the temperatures and the influence of the sun and rain on the slopes around you. This happened this morning with rapid rain loading.

Conny Amelunxen
MG

11:23amIt shook the lodge for minutes like a earthquake. When the rain stopped and the clouds reviled... this is what we found!!!
It
emptied the lakes, sent chunks of 2 ft thick lake ice to the far side
of the meadow, buried 15ft high trees and has changed the course of
Hope Cr by 100's of meters. We found dead birds in the debris. The
crown was aprox were the sun turns to shadow 1 m stepping down to 2 m
in places.Has anyone hear of other events today?
safe and soundReg and Kathy