[MCR] Selkirks- Sir Donald, August 1st

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Aug 2 18:23:19 EDT 2010

On the weekend, Sarah Hueniken and I guided Sir Donald as a party of four.
Saturday on the hike to the bivi site the sky was completely obscured by
smoke which by Sunday afternoon had mostly dissipated. The route itself has
a couple of patches of snow which can be bypassed or easily climbed without
ice axe or crampons. We took the West Face Bypass route on the descent and
crossed 100m of snow where we used ice axes but did not need crampons. The
final rappel station along the ridge (before you start descending the West
Face) has been moved slightly north, which now eliminates the potential for
rapping into space above the West Face.

The bivi site is free of snow and Wardens are checking for Wilderness
Permits. Apparently a grizzly has been spotted around the bivi site.

Lilla Molnar