[MCR] Rockies, Mt Temple, East Ridge

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Aug 17 12:56:52 EDT 2010

Guided the East Ridge of Mt Temple yesterday, Aug 16th. The route is
in very good shape overall with all of last Thurs/Fri storm snow
melted off.

After half a dozen ascents of the route, in both winter and summer, I
finally nailed the best exit gully. Ok, two of those ascents were
made via climbing over the black towers -a much more involved, but
interesting option, and the line of the first ascent- and in winter
it does make sense to follow one of furthest left gullies as
indicated on page 131 of Selected Alpine Climbs in the Canadian
Rockies. Otherwise, for this time of year, I would highly recommend
following the exit as described on pages 180/181 of the first edition
(the one that I have) of The 11,000ers of the Canadian Rockies. Pay
close attention to "The start of the correct exit gully is marked by
a small pinnacle ..." This pinnacle is about 10 meters high and you
climb up behind it in a shoulder width chimney. We slung the top of
it as an anchor and stepped up from it to the right, then crossed
back left overhead for a longish -45 m?- pitch to a two piton anchor.
In the past I have made a horizontal traverse to the left to gain the
Selected Alpine gullys, yesterday I stepped right from this anchor
and headed pretty much straight up with a bit of a left leaning. I
found much easier climbing with a number of in situ pitons and three
new bolts beefing up the last three anchors to the ridgeline and walk
over to the glacier. In addition there is no cornice sitting over
this gully/basin whereas there is ugly ones over the Selected Alpine
exit gullies.

The ice arete to the top is icey in places but mostly good step
kicking. Southwest side descent had dried out from last week's storm.

UIAGM/IFMGA Mountain Guide
http://www.barryblanchard.ca
http://www.yamnuska.com
barryb3 at telus.net