[MCR] Polar Circus, Bolted Anchor failure

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Dec 5 01:04:47 EST 2010

A Friend and I climbed Polar Circus on Dec 3rd. Overall the climb
is not bad for this time of year, however a few of the pitches are
total soakers and I would definitely recommend gore-tex. Several of
the upper pitches are quite chandeliered and do not have the best
protection, with the crux being the "Ribbon pitch" with steep ice and
difficult protection for about 10m, but good fairly easy steps.

Of more significant note was the condition of many of the
fixed bolted anchors on route. Its been quite a few years since I have
climbed this route, but I was fairly appalled at the condition of many
of the bolted anchors. Most of these anchors are composed of a length
of chain sandwiched to the rock via a few washers and a 3/8 bolt, many
are rusted and bent.

My suspicion of these anchors was later confirmed when my friend
leaned back to rappel and one of the 3/8 inch BOLTS SHEARED RIGHT
OFF!!!!! The bolt looked a bit dubious, slightly bent, slightly
rusted, but I had rationalized it as "come on, when does a 3/8 bolt
fail?" Well they do!!

After this experience and further checking out many more
of the bolted anchors on the way down, I would continue to be suspect
of several of the anchors as many of the bolts are bent and showing
signs of wear. Remember it is almost impossible to assess the true
strength of a bolt just by the way it looks from the outside. I would
only 100% trust the newest anchors that obviously have new stainless
(shiny) steel bolts and chains, V threads are always a good option if
the anchor looks dubious. Also many of these fixed anchors are very
hard to reach right now and sometimes getting to the anchor feels like
the real crux of the route.

Have fun and play safe out there. Craig McGee

Craig McGee
ACMG/IFMGA Mountain Guide

craigskibum at yahoo.com