[MCR] Bruins ridge-Connaught Valley-Rogers Pass Selkirk Mtns

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Feb 11 21:30:06 EST 2010

We went up the Connaught valley today with the Bruins ridge as our
plan A destination.

The access slope to the ridge is exposed to a serious terrain trap
below and had already been skier-controlled by a guided party
yesterday. We dug a test profile nearby and found the Feb 9-10th
surface hoar layer below 22cm of low density storm snow. The January
25th surface hoar layer, 8mm crystal size, is now 40cm down from the
surface and is the weak layer to watch (bed surface of the skier-
controlled avalanche). The Dec 29th surface hoar layer (3mm) was found
120cm from the surface.

We ascended the access slope on the bed surface and skied up the
ridge. As we skied back down the ridge, we triggered remotely (5m
away) another size 1.5 slab as we approached yesterday's slab, 40cm
deep, 20m wide and 30m long.

We also noticed several slabs triggered by skiers/boarders on the
skiers right of Balu Pass. Visibility was marginal so we could not
determine if they had been released today or yesterday. Rumblings were
also heard coming from the North side of Mt Cheops.

Excellent skiing overall but the deteriorating stability is calling
for a more cautious approach...
Take care,

Sylvain Hebert
ACMG Ski Guide