[MCR] Field Routes

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Fri Feb 12 20:04:03 EST 2010

Climbed a few routes in Field recently and thought I would post conditions. Climbed Silk Tassle a couple days ago. Route has seen a fair amount of travel, and can easily be done in one pitch. It made a few settlements while I was on it, probably due to the evening freeze after seeing days and days of sun. Something to be aware of on those sunbleached routes early in the mornings (which is when you would want to do them!).
Carlsberg was in good shape with the approach pitch in but a little less fat this year then normal. The upper pitch(es) of Carlsberg were very hooked out, and didn't seem to be reforming much, but I suppose this could change at any time.
Pilsner has the right side touching down and is a narrow pillar with good hooking and stemming on the rock. Better screws then you would think, and a nice ledge to top out on. Still steep and technical though. The next pitch goes up and left and through some chandeliery ice that has improved with all the travel. Rapping off the bolted station on the right prevents you from coming down over the big daggers off the main flow.
Sarah Hueniken
Alpine Guide