[MCR] High Avalanche Hazard Selkirks and Monashee Ranges

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Feb 18 11:27:53 EST 2010

I have been heli-skiing in the Selkirks and Monashee ranges around
Revelstoke for the last 4 days. Our main concern has been two surface hoar
layers that are relatively close to each other and currently found as deep
as 50cm from the surface in the Monashees and a bit shallower in the
Selkirks . While we have had a lot of issues this season already with buried
surface hoar instabilities, this layer combo seems to be the most reactive
and troublesome so far as 1) it is prevalent all the way into the alpine 2)
requires very little trigger (we triggered a size 2.5 from 200 meters away
by landing with a (small) Bell 407 helicopter on a peak above a southerly
aspect at 2600 meters) which in turn triggered additional smaller avalanches
sympathetically and 3) shows enormous potential for propagation (meaning the
fracture travels a long way - we have heard of 500 meter fracture lines in
the Purcells for example) which makes for the potential of catastrophic
slides.

At the same time, we found the northern aspect particularly touchy in the
last few days. Yesterday, with the onset of the nice weather, we have lost a
lot of the non-northern aspects to the solar radiation (i.e. sun crust by
now) which will draw a lot of backcountry users to the Northern aspects
during the coming weekend. Also, the current poor snow stability is not
likely to go away soon. In the 14 years that I have been heli-skiing around
Revelstoke, I have rarely seen such a red (=no go) run list and so much
large scale natural or low trigger avalanche activity even on low angle ski
runs.

Stay safe out there..

Jorg Wilz

Mountain Guide (ACMG / IFMGA)