[MCR] Selkirks: Valkyr Range

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Feb 22 00:22:08 EST 2010

Finishing a week at Valkyr Lodge in the southern Selkirks.

The primary concern this week was the Feb 9 surface hoar buried about
30 cm down. We had several natural and skier controlled avalanches on
this layer, most about size 1.5 with a couple size 2's. Other surface
hoar layers buried deeper weren't reactive this week in this area.

The last 2 days the slabs were less reactive in shaded lower
elevations as they started to facet and weaken. We began skiing
small, low consequence slopes in the 35 degree range in cold, below
treeline zones and triggered a few size 1 slabs but they didn't
propagate or run very far.

We continued to avoid larger features, terrain traps, and alpine
slopes where there are windslabs.

Mark Klassen
Mountain Guide
mark at alpinism.com