[MCR] Selkirk Mountains, Whitewater ski area

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Feb 22 11:19:03 EST 2010

Just did a couple of days ski touring around the Whitewater Ski area
slack-country in the sunshine. We skied an elevation range of 1600m to
2200m on all aspects.

I was pleasantly surprised that the recent warm temperatures hadn't
trashed the snow too badly. The trees were still carrying snow although
tree bomb activity was picking up later in the day on solar aspects.
Steep, open solar slopes showed signs of significant snowballing while
shaded aspects had plenty of dry powder. There was a temperature crust
on open solar aspects that softened in the afternoon.

Surface hoar growth is abundant (up to 15mm crystals) at all elevations
but more on the solar aspects than shaded. Go figure! On the solar
aspects its growing overnight and melting during the day. In many
places the surface hoar is sitting on a 20mm temperature crust. This
layer will likely be of concern when we get more new snow.

I didn't see much evidence of recent avalanche activity unlike regions
north of here. What avalanche debris I did see was covered with new
snow. Cornices are looking well developed, but I didn't see any recent
falls. As the afternoon temperatures rise, I'd expect the threat of
avalanches to increase on steeper solar slopes.

Despite the apparent stability I employed the usual cautions in
avalanche terrain, avoided avalanche paths and steered clear of slopes
threatened by cornices.

Enjoy the sunshine, but play it safe.

Craig Hollinger,
ACMG Assistant Ski Guide.