[MCR] Rogers Pass

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat Feb 27 21:32:13 EST 2010

Hi,
Things in the Pass have got way more unstable since my posting last week.
On Thursday and Friday we triggered 9 different slabs from size 0.5 to size 2 on north and east aspects between 1700m and 2200m.
The failure layer was the February 10th surface hoar now buried under 35cm to 50cm of soft slab.
We experienced extensive whumphing and cracking on both days and several of the avalanches were remotely triggered from up to 30m away. Some of slides were also pulling back to slope angles in the low 20 degrees.
Take care out there,
Steve Blagbrough.
Yamnuska Mountain Adventures.