[MCR] Wapta Icefields

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat Feb 27 22:21:40 EST 2010

Hello,

I spent Monday through Friday on the Wapta Icefields between the Bow and Balfour Huts. It was difficult to tell exactly how much new snow had fallen in the area due to moderate to strong W - SW winds. On Friday traveling up the Vulture glacier from the Balfour hut ski penetrations ranged from 5-25cm and 40cm slabs were noted on the lee side of Mt Olive. The descent to Bow Hut however had no more than 10cm of new snow. We observed one cornice collapse at the North end of Mt Balfour that triggered a size 2 avalanche to ground as well as numerous loose snow avalanches to size 1 in the area.

Watch out for those wind loaded features and enjoy the little bit of fresh snow.

Jesse de Montigny
Yamnuska Mountain Adventures
ACMG Ski Guide and Assistant Alpine Guide