[MCR] Selkirks Avalanche Hazard

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat Jan 2 14:14:48 EST 2010

We have been skiing in the Selkirks south of Revelstoke for the last couple weeks and watching the Dec 29 surface hoar form and get buried.  We now have 50cm or more of recent snow forming a slab above this layer and it is highly reactive on all aspects, even on very low angle terrain and especially in cutblocks.  As of this morning we are rating the Hazard as High at all elevations and seeing a lot of natural avalanche activity and  remotely triggered avalanches.

Ski quality is good but we are being very cautious!

Cheers, Conrad Janzen
ACMG/IFMGA Mountain Guide
www.conradjanzenguiding.com