[MCR] Kootenay Pass, Southern Selkirk Mountains

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Jan 3 22:48:17 EST 2010

Lots of skiers at Kootenay Pass in Stagleap Provincial Park today.
After reading public avalanche postings, I was expecting some 'touchy'
conditions. Turned out to be pretty good.

We skied cautiously but found no evidence of wind slab from the recent
storm on the NE or W aspects at 2100m we were on. Aggressive turns on
moderate slopes (30-35*) below this elevation produced only minor
sloughing. Ski cutting some steeper slopes of about 45* resulted in
sloughs that brought along the top 5cm but were reluctant to run far.
No evidence of recent avalanche activity was observed.

About 40cm of 4F (fairly soft) snow was on the Dec 28 surface
hoar/crust combo. Compression tests resulted in moderate to hard
results on this layer. Tests on the Dec 12 facet layer, down about
80cm, didn't produce any results. The snow pack below this was well
settled. Some whumpfing was noticed on low angled terrain, but didn't
propagate more than half a ski length away.

Air temperature was around -4 during the day. Must have been above
freezing earlier, the moist surface was forming a thin crust between
1800m and 2100m elevation. Something to note when more snow falls.

Happy New Year.

Craig Hollinger,
ACMG Assistant Ski Guide.