[MCR] Rogers Pass update/correction

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Jan 3 23:57:16 EST 2010

Went up Connaught today and it turns out that Frequent Flyer didn't
avalanche yesterday as was reported. Most paths on the Cheops side of
the valley ran yesterday but nothing bigger than size 2 and not
running far. On the south facing side of the valley there has been
little activity that we could see.

We skied in the Ursus area; I hopped on the slope above the skin
track that cuts across the bottom of the ridge just beyond Hospital
Knob and it fractured but didn't slide. Then a ski cut into the slope
on the north end of Hospital Knob caused a size 1 slab to run on the
surface hoar, 40 cm thick and 15 m wide. It didn't run very far down
slope. In thicker trees there were few signs of instability, same as
yesterday.

During the next snow or wind or temperature spike event I would be
very aware of Frequent Flyer and other open slopes at all elevations
that didn't run in the last 48 hrs . The surface hoar and crusts are
at the prime human triggering depth right now but the load and/or
slab stiffness weren't quite there yet today for widespread
triggering/propagation.

Mark Klassen