[MCR] Johnston Canyon

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Jan 5 00:44:10 EST 2010

Excellent day at Johnson Canyon, plenty of good ice to climb. The main falls looks good, the flow to the right of these is excellent cauliflowered ice, there is an impressive pillar that has form and looks to be well supported to the left of the usual one and the teaching wall is fat. However there is a nasty and dubious looking hanging daggers that is defying gravity near that teaching wall and it threatens many of the other ice approaches- beware of this lurking fang, especially when the temps get much colder. Of note, the old climbing rope anchor on the big tree above the often top roped mixed climb in the middle of the cliff needs replacement (I did not have my knife on me).
Happy ice,

Eric Dumerac- IFMGA/ACMG Mountain Guide
www.iceXperts.ca
1-877-309-7673