[MCR] Crowfoot Glades

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Jan 5 00:29:18 EST 2010

Taught an AST 1 course yesterday at Crowfoot Glades. Conditions were excellent, with about 20cm ski pen and some face shots -5 and very light breeze, S-1. Agressive ski cutting and compression tests did not produce any significant results on N and NE aspects at below treeline & treeline elevations. 2 x Sz 2 avalanches from steep unskiable terrain- no secondaries. We found the surface hoar layer 30-35 down where it was producing hard results. I would of expected more results from this layer as the crystals are still well preserved though mainly lying flat. Where not wind affected, the new storm snow above the surface hoar still had not settled into a stiff enough layer to cause concern at this point. We noticed wind transported snow off of Crowfoot mountain all day. Test results: NE 2180, 20deg, CTE 7 RP 18 down on large preserved stellars & CTM 16 B 34 down on SH, ST VH 115 on Fc

Happy turns,

Eric Dumerac- IFMGA/ACMG Mountain Guide
www.mountainskillsacademy.com
Canada: Canmore 1-877-309-7673