[MCR] Western Wapta- Mt Des Poilus July 14-17

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Jul 18 13:23:43 EDT 2010

We spent a few days in the Waterfall valley/ Mt Des Poilus area from July 14-17. Generally reasonable weather with lots of overcast and threatening skies. Severall thunder showers over the 4 days, but no significant precipitation. We expected to find more storm snow from earlier in the week, but in this location, it hadnt really accumulated too much or had already melted off. Conditions on the Des Poilus glacier are in transition, with thin moist snow cover below 8000' (40cm or less). Between 8000 and 9000', glacier coverage was good, and a pretty good freeze on the night of the 15 made excellent travel. Above 9000', the snowpack was more of a spring snowpack than a mid summer. The snowpack depth was at least 180cm at 9700', perhaps a fat spot but definately good coverage at that elevation. Very few crevasses are showing. The downside is that it is a very isothermal snowpack (moist all the way through), but not really consolodated into good firm summer snow. Foot penetration was boot top to almost knee deep above 9000' at 0730am on the 16. We were turned around at the bergshrund at 9700' which crosses the entire glacier. It is currently totally covered, but sagging, and in the several spots we attempted to cross we were punching into the abyss. Perhaps after another week or 2 of warm weather, the bergschurnd will open up more and any bridges across will be more obvious. Overall, conditions on the Wapta were good if you got a good freeze and an early start. Other guides in the area over the radio were reporting good conditions on Mt Mcarthur, and Mt Rhonda.
Cheers
Jeff Honig, Mountain Guide