[MCR] N Cascades; Mt Baker

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Jul 28 18:11:40 EDT 2010

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: P1010317.jpg
-------------- next part --------------

A persistent 12 knot westerly wind. kept things feeling cold on Mt Baker yesterday. The glacier is in good condition, more like mid-June conditions with only a few crevasses starting to open up. The icefall on Colfax peak, spews ice debris onto the climbers trail on the Colman glacier route. Crevasses are starting to open up in this area as well, which is sure to add to the hazard as the season goes on. (The area I am referring to is in the centre of the attached photo)

Despite a clear night, the snow stayed soft, but the foot pen was minimal. We only used crampons for the descent off the summit. All in all the conditions were excellent for travelling.

Paul Berntsen
Mtn Guide