[MCR] South Coast Range ~ Overseer Mountain

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Mar 7 02:09:25 EST 2010

Today was another beautiful day in the hills.

Skiing just east of Meager Creek - on Overseer Mountain, and in the South Creek area allowed for some observations from that sublime part of the range.

It appears as though we are poised for a change in the weather. Currently, the surface of the snow is a mix of 'sugary' (faceted) crystals and surface hoar well into the north-facing alpine/glaciated regions. Today's winds were light in the alpine and if they continue to be light as new snow begins to fall, then we may have yet another problematic and widespread layer to be aware of once those fragile snow crystals become buried.

A crust has formed on any aspect that tips into the sun. This, too, may become problematic as new snow accumulates on this layer.

A fresh and large natural avalanche likely occured sometime during the early part of the day today. It released on a steep north-west facing alpine slope and it was triggered by a piece of glacier ice that calved away from the main body of the glacier and impacted the slope. The avalanche appeared to be in the size 2.5 class and it was a slab. Suspicion points to one of our buried surface hoar layers from February or late-January.

Coverage on the glaciers (and over the crevasses) in the much higher alpine regions appeared better/healthier in this location.

Cornices were often large, well overhung, and looming in spots. A mix of old and new cornice debris on slopes below indicate that these monsters have been at least partly active. Something I have noticed over the past few days is how deceiving moving along ridgecrests can be right now. Because the cornices are currently so mature, it is difficult to know whether you are walking on solid snow or an overhanging cornice. Use caution if you find yourself on such features.

Be on the watch for that crust at treeline elevations on all aspects; your knees will thank you for it.

The best skiing continues to be sheltered alpine north-facing slopes that are smaller in scale/size, mellower in incline, 'supported' (meaning no bulges and no steep sudden breaks in the slope continuity), and without any overhead hazards.

Enjoy the sandal weather before we plunge back into the deep freeze. Brrrrr.

Wishing Everyone a safe and fun March.

Best regards,

Dale Marcoux

ACMG Asst. Ski Guide