[MCR] South Coast Fissile Mt

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Mar 7 03:20:48 EST 2010

Skied a gully just west of Fissile Mts summit (saddle chute) today.
On the way up I was concerned about mid day heat on the S aspect so I dragged my client up the west side route. This turned out to have thin faceted snow that made for some unfun wallowing. The rest of the local population beat us to the top via the usual south line and evidently had fast safe travel.
By the end of the day every possible obvious line on Fissile had been ridden.Most of this was in steep terrain.
I cut out two very small 15cm thick slabs that where barely wider than a couple of ski lengths. There was evidence on other gullies and faces that this was happening elsewhere and the stuffs where running long.

On the way out met an experienced touring group who has just skied the N face of Fitszimmons.

The Singing Pass trail is very icy with lots of creek crossings but very usable in a scarry sort of way...

It seems the hazard in the alpine at this location is a solid moderate.

Dave Sarkany
Ski Guide