[MCR] Wapta Icefields

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Mar 14 22:58:53 EDT 2010

The following observations are forwarded from Nick Rapaich and James Blench:

Four days up on the Wapta Icefeilds Feb 11th-14th
Ski toured from Bow
Hut to Belfour Hut and back to the Bow Hut.
Storm started on the
evening of the 11th on our way up to the Bow Hut.
During the day of
the 12th on our way to the Balfour Hut, strong south west winds and
snowing up to 2cm/hour at times.
The storm ended early in the am on
the 13th (4:00). Bring an estimate of 30-40cm of storm snow with
drifting up to 55-65cm.
The morning of the 13th at the Balfour Hut
had revealed a widespread avalanche cycle through the night and it
continued into the day.
Natural avalanches, skier remote triggered
and skier triggered avalanches were noted. From size 1 to large size
2's.
During travel we experienced extensive whumping on the new snow
and the previous snow surface (March8th) on all aspects and elevations
up to 3000m.
This morning (14th) on Mt Ronda size 3 avalanche had
released stepping down to deeper week layers within the snow pack.
We
were avoiding exposure to terrain steep enough to avalanche, slopes
that have not slide or overhead hazards(loaded slopes, cornices).
When
ever any exposure was mandatory we using diligent safety measures to
mitigate the hazards.
By noon today there was strong wind transport
at ridgetop and loading taking place with natural avalanches still
happening.
Be careful out there!

Nicholas Rapaich - Assistant
Alpine, Assistant Ski Guide