[MCR] South Coast Range ~ Musical Bumps to Adit Creek

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Mar 15 01:19:50 EDT 2010

Lots of snow and wind these past few days.

A group of us toured out today over to Singing Pass and then beyond to the confluences of Adit and Russet Creek.

The weather arrived midday with deteriorating visibility, increased snowfall, and strong winds from the southeast.

We had several 'whumpfs' around treeline with one event producing a size 1.5 soft slab avalanche beyond in an east-facing gully feature. I observed the same type of terrain avalanching naturally and large yesterday in the Spearhead Range around treeline ~ but on west and northwest-facing aspects and at least one of these events released within all the recent snow we have received. Essentially, all steeper terrain on most aspects at treeline is very suspect now.

Avoiding overhead exposure to avalanche start zones and their runout zones is a good meaure, and I am currently being very very wary of large-scale slopes. Recent storm snow amounts (50-60cm around treeline) sits above a crust on sun-affected treeline aspects below 6500' (2000m). In places, a layer of weaker crystals (facets) are sitting at this interface between the new snow amounts and the crust, and are relatively easy to trigger currently.

Up high, the winds have been moving lots of that new snow around so avoiding avalanche terrain in the alpine is not a bad idea.

This snowpack at treeline and in the alpine needs time to settle down and get stronger. It doesn't appear that that may happen until the weather settles down, too.....

Wishing Everyone safe travels.

Dale Marcoux

ACMG Asst. Ski Guide