[MCR] another persistent weak layer winter

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Fri Mar 26 17:11:04 EDT 2010

Clearly, we again find ourselves in a winter where persistent weak layers are playing a significant role in snowpack stability and avalanche hazard. And it's not over yet. While the likelihood of triggering an avalanche is significantly less than it was even a week ago and the number of avalanches being reported are down significantly in the last few days, the size of avalanches that are being triggered is remains quite large. This is typical of a PWL avalanche cycle and right about now is when people often make serious errors in judgement by assuming the problem is gone.