[MCR] PWL followup

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Fri Mar 26 18:39:15 EDT 2010

The PWL paper and problems I refer to in my last post are primarily aimed at folks heading into the Columbia Mountains of BC's interior ranges and the South Chilcotin Range of the South Coast Mountains. I encourage you to check avalanche bulletins for the region you are going into to assess if PWLs are a problem there. If they are, the advice in the paper applies to most PWL situations. If, after checking local avalanche bulletins, you are uncertain about whether PWLs are an issue or if you are in an areas with no avalanche bulletin, I suggest you consult with knowledgeable local avalanche professionals like ski area control teams, park rangers or wardens, etc. to determine if you are likely to encounter PWLs on your trip.

Karl Klassen
Mountain Guide
Public Avalanche Bulletins Manager
Canadian Avalanche Centre