[MCR] Columbia Icefields, May 2-8, 2010

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat May 8 21:57:36 EDT 2010

Had a nice week on the Columbia Icefields with Simon Robbins and an ACC group, skiing up several peaks and getting in some good turns and good views!

On May 3rd we had a storm which dumped 80-100cm of new snow above 2800m and was accompanied by moderate-strong SW winds.  Cool temps and another 15cm over the next two days kept the snow settlement slow and trail breaking was good exercise.  Morning temps were between -13 and -23'C with generally broken skies over the last few days.  By this morning trail breaking was down to 10-15cm and there was a thin sun crust on solar aspects up to the summits.

Good coverage in most places with more than 320cm of snow above 2800m, although halfway up North Twin we encountered a wind scoured area with 40-60cm of snow and some very thinly covered crevasses.

A few slabs up to size 2 out on loaded aspects during the storm (i.e. the ramp route on Athabasca) but not much avalanche activity observed up high during the week.  We decided not to attempt the E face of Mt Columbia due to the amounts of new snow, but by today the snow stability seemed to improving with the regular spring cautions for daytime heating and variations with elevation.

Good conditions on the Athabasca Glacier ski out this morning with quick travel below the seracs and good corn from the icefall down to the toe of the glacier.

Enjoy the spring climbing and skiing!
Cheers, Conrad Janzen
ACMG/IFMGA Mountain Guide
www.conradjanzenguiding.com