[MCR] Little Jimmy Simpson, Bow Summit Area

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu May 13 14:14:02 EDT 2010

Started at 6:15 a.m. up Little Jimmy Simpson today (May 13). We found a
very supportive crust right from the road to the summit, with good
step-kicking in the middle third of the route. The snowpack at treeline
and below is starting to thin out around the trees, but it was holding us
up nicely and travel was fast. Ski crampons were needed for travel on the
upper portion of the mountain.

We reached the top at 8:30 a.m., then waited on the summit for over an hour
for the crust to soften up for nice corn conditions. The steeper pitches
facing directly E were the softest, and waiting another hour would have
made them feel spooky. We were back at the car before 10 a.m. via some
fantastic spring corn-skiing.

Early starts and early finishes are important with these warm sunny days.
The ski season isn't done yet!

Chris Gooliaff
ACMG Assistant Ski Guide, Assistant Rock Guide