[MCR] Midday Peak, Selkirk Mountains near Salmo

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Fri Nov 5 00:15:05 EDT 2010

Had a sunny hike/ski in the Barrett Creek drainage today near Salmo. We
reached the summit of Midday Peak just after noon. There was a whopping
45cm of snow at 1925m on the summit. The snow fully covered the ground
above about 1500m. Air temperatures ranged from just above freezing in
the valley in the morning to around 10C at noon on the summit.
Temperatures plummeted rapidly as the sun went down.

I took skis (the eternal optimist!) and my buddies took snowshoes.
Snowshoes were the better option. The skiing sucked on the breakable
crust, but I still had fun!.

Craig Hollinger,
ACMG Assistant Ski Guide.