[MCR] Rockies, Mt Kitchener, Grand Central Coulior

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Fri Nov 5 09:33:45 EDT 2010

My guest and I decided to go check out the Grand Central Coulior on
Mt Kitchener on Wed, Nov 3rd. We had our eyes open for slabs on the
drive up as friends of mine had witnessed a large slab avalanche rip
wall to wall on the big half-way ledge on the North Face of Mt
Cromwell on Oct 30th. That avalanche turned the whole lower wall of
Cromwell white. Also I got a second hand report of a team retreating
from the Asteroid Alley route on Mt Andromeda because of slab
conditions. I started noticing recent slab activity from around Bow
Summit, and northe, with a very large slab out on the summit ridge of
Mt Epaulette. The below pictured slab on the Ramp route of Mt
Athabasca was spooky to see, but we decided to go stick our noses
into Kitchener and have a look. Thus far the principal risk of our
trip was hard packed snow on the highway. It is time for winter tires
on the 93 North.

The approach into the face is in fine walking shape with no water to
walk through on the Sunwapta River. Picture of the face below. We
camped on the glacier below the face. A number of slabs were out on
the face.

Nov 4th we left the tent at 5am. The initial bergshrund had been
scoured down to summer snow by avalanches. One hundred meters higher
we entered the first pillow of storm snow, got out the shovel and dug
a test pit. We found a moderate shovel compression test and two easy
to moderate shovel shear tests. The failures were clean pops with the
recent storm snow failing on the October surface that had been rained
on, and then frozen (this surface had granted us fine climbing
conditions on our ascent of the Robinson/Arbic route on Mt Cromwell
on Oct 19th). It appears that the snows and, mostly, the winds of the
last week have overloaded that interface. We turned around and went
back to tent for tea.

As a consolation prize we made the first ascent of the below pictured
ice/mixed climb: WI 3+, 5.7 mixed, thin -you need rock gear. The
route is on the lower cliffs between K2 and K3 (Kitchener 1 and 2),
and we called it K9 because we got pooched on Kitchener.

www.barryblanchard.ca
www.yamnuska.com

Nov 3rd