[MCR] Rockies: Victoria redux

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Sep 6 21:30:44 EDT 2010

There have been mixed reports about Victoria lately but after
teetering along the S Ridge today I would say don't bother. Some of
the route had good snow coverage with OK steps but a good deal of it
was snow over rock that required crampons and gave insecure and slow
climbing.

Descent via the Huber Ledges was fast with good coverage in the gully
and on the glaciers. The schrunds have some thin new bridges on them
- I know because I fell into one (only up to my hips). The ledges
themselves had a few cm of snow on them but that didn't slow things
down.

The blustery weather of the past couple of days gave about 5 cm of
new snow on Vic. Other peaks in the area such as Hungabee seemed to
have picked up significantly more than that. Snowline was about 2400
m on north aspects today.

Mark Klassen
Mountain Guide
www.alpinism.com