[MCR] Rockies- Snow along the Lake Louise/O'Hara divide Sept.11th, 2010.

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat Sep 11 13:29:32 EDT 2010

Climbed Grassi Ridge on friday. It WAS dry. Snow line was pretty dramatic at around 2800m on the rock and to the toe of all the glaciers. Obviously a lot of recent snow above that elevation and we saw no melting at all even during the few hours of sun. A few loose snow avalanche deposits were visible on all moderately steep open slopes we could see.

It started raining hard around 5pm friday night, rained most of the night and at 9am this morning(saturday) snow was just starting to stick to the ground at Lake O'Hara(2000m). YUKK!! Lots of wind during the previous day and overnight. I would assume windslabs are rather a big deal in the Lake Louise/O'Hara alpine right now.

Larry Stanier
ACMG/IFMGA Mountain Guide
laristan at telus.net