[MCR] Howse peak area

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Fri Apr 22 20:33:32 EDT 2011

Excellent north facing skiing along the west side of the Banff-Jasper highway today. COLD air in the morning on waterfowl lake and moderate south winds from late morning on kept it cool.

Suncrust on any sun-exposed slopes east through west. Ski crampons were REALLY useful. Corn snow may be coming soon to steep south faces. Lots of spindrift in the big walls and gullies on Howse and Synge. BIG cornices along that ridge.

Generally, the Rockies still feel wintery and I think the snowpack has yet to feel a REALLY hot day. We skied some fairly big, long open slopes to 45+ degrees and felt good about it. I would, however, pull in the reins and be cautious on the first REALLY hot day.

Larry Stanier
ACMG/IFMGA Mountain Guide
laristan at telus.net