[MCR] The Howsons on Easter 2011

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Fri Apr 22 21:33:55 EDT 2011

There are still 200 cm of snow at the lodge. The snowpack has not been
shrinking much at low elevations and growing at higher altitudes. We
skied a S aspect today and found soft cold snow on the Solitaire Glacier
and excellent corn below, all the way to the valley bottom. We skied
down the Duodenum, and down the moraine all the way to the Burnie
Glacier. It was still -6 on the summit and no warmer than 4 degrees at
the lodge. We saw some older slabs, kicked a cornice that propagated
rather well, and saw an icefall on the Loft Glacier that raked the
slopes below but did not pull out a slab. There was a thin slab that
propagated quite well, about 100 m, in steep terrain beside the Loft
Glacier.

Later on, I got the first load of firewood with the snowmobile and only
got stuck once (but good).

--
Christoph Dietzfelbinger