[MCR] Selkirk Mountains - Clachnacudain Icefield Apr.22-24/11

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Apr 25 15:19:36 EDT 2011

Just back from a weekend trip in the Clachnacudainn Icefield in Mt.
Revelstoke Park.

We had fortunate timing with the ridge of high pressure that lasted from
Friday to Sunday - a must for this totally Alpine area.

Temps were quite cold to start (-10 Friday AM), and the surface crust that
was present on all but steeper Northerly aspects did not break down much on
Friday.

Saturday things became more spring like and we even mixed up the powder
skiing with a couple of amazing corn runs on Mt. Klotz's SE aspect (closure
ended Apr.15).

Sunday was even warmer but N. Aspects still held their powder with corn
skiing on all other aspects once the crust softened up in the early am.

Nothing unexpected as far as avalanches, with loose moist/wet slides in the
afternoon on steeper solar aspects starting Saturday, but most of what we
saw was limited to the recent snow over the last buried crust, nothing
running very deep at all. Northerly aspects produced minimal sluffing on
steep slopes, though it was still a concern on some of the larger steep N.
aspects we skied on Mt. Klotz.

The interesting thing was the formation of Surface Hoar(up to 5mm.) and the
presence of large stellar snow crystals on the surface, quite often right
over the crust - something to keep an eye on if we get a significant load in
the near future, it may change the stability on those sheltered ALP N.
faces, which is exactly where all the great skiing will be!

Last night the ridge broke down and we had some precipitation overnight,
though it didn't seem enough to be a major issue.

Have a great spring,

Scott Davis