[MCR] we need information

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Apr 25 16:38:58 EDT 2011

Scheduled daily avalanche forecasts issued by the Canadian Avalanche Centre’s Public Avalanche Warning Service have now ended. However, due to the late spring and significant snowpack that still exists in many regions, we’ll be issuing weekly updates on avalanche conditions until the May long weekend. We’ll post bulletins for all our forecast regions Thursday afternoons, focussing largely on the coming weekend.

Our usual sources of data are shutting down and we need as much information from the field as we can get. We’d appreciate information from anyone who is still out in the mountains for the next month or so. We’re operating with a skeleton crew so the forecasting office in Revelstoke will not be regularly manned during this time but we’ll monitor forecaster at avalanche.ca so you can email us there. Even valley bottom, drive-by, or fly-over observations are welcome.

I’m more or less on call daily until the May long weekend and if you want to talk in person or have urgent information, please feel free to call me at my office: 250-837-2141 ext 227 or on my mobile: 250-814-3756.

Have a great spring. If you are in the Okanagan next week, check out the agenda for the CAA/CAC Annual Spring Conference. Thursday and Friday sessions are open to the public.

Karl Klassen
Mountain Guide
Canadian Avalanche Centre, Public Avalanche Warning Service Manager
Revelstoke
kklassen at avalanche.ca