[MCR] Rockies, Popes Peak

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Apr 27 20:57:13 EDT 2011

My fellow Mountain Guide, Steve Holeczi, and I went to take a look at
the skiing the left hand Narao Gully today, April 27th. Great
skinning up on a supportive crust in the morning in the forest (we
didn't use, or have, ski crampons). We chose to give the Narao Gully
a miss given that a slab had avalanched out of the right hand gully
in the last few days. The crown looked to be one and a half meters at
the deepest and the slab failed pretty much from one side of the
gully to the other. We continued on up valley for the Popes Peak
tour. Felt like winter in the upper valley and we had good dust on
crust skiing. Moist snow in the forest on the way down, but the crust
remained supportive. A good day.

www.barryblanchard.ca
www.yamnuska.com