[MCR] North Rockies Traverse

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Apr 28 00:40:50 EDT 2011

Yesterday six of us completed a variation of the North Rockies ski
traverse, starting near Jasper (Portal Creek) and ending up at the
Clemenceau Icefield. We were out from April 18-26 and spent most of
the time above treeline within a few km of the Great Divide.

It still felt wintry, especially the first several days with
overnight lows between -11 and -15. At the end of the trip it warmed
significantly with -3 recorded at 2000 m at the 4 am start to our
last day. However, alpine north aspects still had dry snow and
trailbreaking through low density powder. There were thin suncrusts
on south aspects, some of which were carrying the weight of a skier.
By now there will be thin temperature crusts up to treeline.

Snow coverage was excellent on the entire route with treeline snow
depths in the 2+ m range. On the glaciers it was generally 3+ m
although in windward areas it was often thinner.

Avalanche activity was limited to solar triggered avalanches, mostly
loose, and a few cornice falls. The largest avalanche was a size 3
broad cornice release on the east face of Mt Brown on April 23. We
had one large whumpf in a thin snowpack moraine area, W aspect, 2400
m, on April 24 on the first warmer day.

This is one of the best ski traverses I have ever done, for a route
description go to www.facebook.com/alpinism (you don't need a
facebook account to view).

Congratulations to Eric Harvie and Felix Belczyk for having now
completed the entire Great Divide Traverse from Jasper to Lake
Louise. We may have to claim the slowest traverse, seeing as it took
us four trips over seven years!

Mark Klassen
Mountain Guide

Erica Roles