[MCR] Rockies, Mt Assiniboine and environs

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Aug 1 22:18:03 EDT 2011

I spent the nights of July 27th to 31st in the Hind Hut below Mt
Assiniboine. We helped the renovating carpenters carry their kit to
the helicopter. The men did great work, new windows that don't leak
and are tastefully -alpinely- framed, mouldy plywood replaced, a new
kitchen table and benches, and gone is the dumb second door into the
hut.

July 28th my two guests and I climbed the NE ridge of Mt Assiniboine
in what the Scotts would call "full conditions". Crampons on for the
upper 5/6ths of the mountain, M2 climbing through the Red Band,
verglass chipped off of handholds on most of the steeper sections,
some small suspect slabs skirted (but plowed through on the way down
and they seem to be happy staying put, stable I'd say), footholds cut
into a number of harder slopes (we had a decent freeze), especially
in the rhime on the summit traverse.

We did a half dozen left leaning rappels (to the east) off of the
highest slung blocks on the summit ridge (found 3 anchors then
couldn't find any others for all the snow), then shortroped down to
four more rappels (50m ropes for us, so 50 m rappels) from the top of
the Red Band. Challenging downclimbing 20 cms of mashed potato snow
over the harder stuff underneath, crampons wanting to skate.

We were 16hrs hut to hut and I'll state that the peak is in
challenging conditions right now due to the snow.

July 29th we enjoyed a mid day start and climbed Mt Strom, then
traversed the ridgeline to Wedgewood peak.

July 30th we got a fabulous freeze and climbed Mt Sturdee via it's
north snow and ice slope to the east ridge. Descent via one 25m
rappel to the south then contouring around to the Assiniboine/Sturdee
col. A great climb and fantastic to see Hans Gmoser, one of my heros,
signed into the summit register in 1952! (tap the copper tube with
and adze to get it open).

July 31st we climbed Mt Magog via the largest snow gully at it's
north end (faces the hut).

August 1, today, we descended the Gmoser highway which is bookended
with healthy snow patches start and finish right now. We put on
crampons for both and had them off for the middle 'highway' part.

www.barryblanchard.ca
www.yamnuska.com