[MCR] Bugaboos Conditions July 29-Aug 7

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Aug 7 23:18:56 EDT 2011

Just back from 10 days of guiding in the Bugs. Excellent weather and
conditions the whole time with good diurnal cycles settling the previous
week's storm snow well.

Yesterday on the Marmolata-Pigeon Feathers traverse we did not have to use
crampons. Descending Bugaboo Glacier we could see the uptracks and pole
marks still showing from June's ski touring! There was isothermal surface
sloughing late in the afternoon on steep north aspects.

BS col is in great shape though the crevasses and schrund are starting to
show and there is the ever present threat of rockfall from Bugaboo E face
and the top of the col. Bugaboo Glacier access to Marmolata and Pigeon Fork
are well covered.

Routes like Beckey-Chouinard, Snowpatch Rt, Buckingham Rt., Pigeon W Ridge,
Bugaboo Kain & NE Ridge are all getting climbed and in great shape.

Regards,
Tom Wolfe
Mountain Guide ACMG/IFMGA
Canmore, AB