[MCR] Columbia Icefields Conditions

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Aug 8 18:03:43 EDT 2011

Up at the Columbia Icefields from Aug 5-8 with my colleague Mike Trehearne.

>From Aug 5-7th the weather was generally unsettled; raining at night with a

mix of sun and cloud during the day. Today dawned clear and cold and perfect
for alpine climbing. During the period there were several attempts on
Athabasca via the AA col which were aborted with the weather. One party
climbed Skyladder over 17 hours on the 6th and reported lots of postholing.
All the Athatbasca north face routes look quite icy and in good shape. The
firn line was approximately 9000 ft with sporty crevasse crossing until you
climbed higher into thicker snowcover. We did not observe any avalanches
during the period.

Happy Alpinism!

James Blench

www.jamesblench.ca