[MCR] Bugaboos

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat Aug 13 00:37:14 EDT 2011

This week we changed plans from going to the Clemenceau area and went
to the Bugaboos instead. We're glad we did, conditions were perfect.
We climbed Pigeon, Lion's Way, Bugaboo (Kain), Eastpost, traversed
Anniversary/Rock Ridge Peaks and did a Crescent Spire traverse this
morning. ~100 climbers in the area meant that everything was getting
climbed every day.

Things are still snowy and crampons are being used on the traverse
ledge on Pigeon. However, snow conditions are firm and travel to the
BS col and on the glaciers is excellent. The warm temperatures mean
that more crevasses are opening every day. The Pigeon fork of the
Bugaboo Glacier is especially showing a lot of holes. Bergschrunds in
the Sextet, Marmolada, Pigeon Feather and Howser Towers zones are
large and difficult to bypass. We also noticed several large
bergschrund collapses that spilled debris well down onto the glaciers
below and there was a large cornice fall onto the east face of the N
Howser yesterday.

Other than crevasses/bergschrunds the primary hazard was other
climbers above, climbers below us without helmets on, simul-climbers
passing multiple parties on easy routes, and traffic jams at
constrictions such as the gendarme on Bugaboo. Hard to avoid even
with the early starts we were doing but not that big a deal as long
as there was a little communication between parties.

Overall a great week of climbing!

Mark Klassen