[MCR] Tonquin Valley conditions August 7 - 11th.

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat Aug 13 02:09:28 EDT 2011

I was in the Tonquin Valley from August 7-11th.

Many of the classic rock
faces and steep ribs in the Tonquin still have snow and wet
sections, the routes only just coming into condition. Ridges are dry and
snow gullies are in excellent condition making for quick up and down
approaches and descents. Schrund crossings and crevasse bridges also looked
good overall. The greatest concern at the moment is with sun exposed
snow slopes at higher elevation. Besides rock fall from snow melt, the
slopes themselves were quite touchy, needing only the slightest trigger
to slough the upper 10 - 15 cm of isothermal snow. These sloughs quickly
gather enough velocity and volume to dislodge a climber.

We climbed two peaks. The first, on August 8th was the Northern
most peak on the rampart wall besides Redoubt from a long snow gully between Redoubt and Drawbridge which leads to a
ridge climb to the top of a distinct pointed summit. Our intention was the NW ridge of Redoubt but we found the final snow couloir was wet and not in condition and the ridge appeared to have still much snow on it. So we made for the summit of our backup option.

As well we climbed Paragon peaks East ridge via a new variation at
the base of the South face on August 10th. These routes were in excellent condition
apart from the upper snow slopes on Paragon which required careful
navigation to stay on the lowest angled slopes or high on ridge tops to avoid
avalanche slopes.

We had one feeble a.m. freeze at 2000 meters on August 8th and apart from that temperatures were always above zero.

I included two pictures from this trip of the front and backside of the ramparts.

Eric Dumerac - Professional Mountain Guide - IFMGA/ACMG
Mountain Skills Academy
✆Canada: Canmore 011- 403-609-1564

Tonquin Valley conditions August 7 - 11th
http://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=2a7e06ee4544d78e&page=browse&resid=2A7E06EE4544D78E!165&type=5&Bpub=SDX.Photos&Bsrc=Photomail&authkey=oZJpz1VQ7qs%24