[MCR] Opabin, Abbot Pass, Death Trap

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Aug 21 13:47:34 EDT 2011

Just back from a 3 glacier traverse connecting Moraine Lake, Lake O'Hara and
Lake Louise via the Wenkchemna, Opabin and Abbot Passes.

The Tokumm and Opabin Glaciers had enough snow cover to get over Opabin Pass
without crampons once the snow had softened in the afternoon.

Things were still pretty snowy at Abbot Pass with the recent storms. Lefroy
was getting climbed with reported good step kicking in perfect snow, but
Victoria had lots of snow covered rock ledges leading up from the Pass.

We descended the Death Trap and were easily able to bypass the main crevasse
(on the skier's left) that is often gaping open at this time of year.
Despite good plunge stepping down snow in places we needed crampons for the
wind scoured crust up high and the frozen debris down low.

Cheers,
Shaun King ACMG / UIAGM Mountain Guide
Mountain Sense Guiding & Instruction
www.mountainsense.ca <http://www.mountainsense.ca/> +1-250-505-5139