[MCR] Woodbury Glacier area-Southern Selkirks

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Aug 23 17:58:04 EDT 2011

Hi all,

We just returned from an interesting variation of the standard Woodbury to Silver Spray traverse in Kokanee Provincial Park. From the Woodbury Cabin, we followed the height of land along the sharp ridge system connecting Moonlight, Kamball and Evening Star Peaks to eventually reach the Silver Spray Cabin. This very exposed full day adventure involved mainly 4th class scrambling with the odd low 5th class moves on generally solid granite. It is highly recommended.

We brought and ice axe but did not use it, we managed to travel entirely
off any of the remaining winter snow. The regular traverse also looked
to be snow free. The Woodbury and Kokanee glaciers are still well
covered with winter snow and the crevasses not so obvious. Only the toe of
the glaciers are starting to show some ice (see photo).

Of note, parts of the trail to the Woodbury cabin is really brushy and at time difficult to find. It is a reflection of the low traffic and fast growing underbrush since the 2006 forest fire. Thanks to the ACC, the Woodbury Cabin has recently been equipped with new foam mattresses and plenty of pots, dishes and silverware. This great addition will help make everyone's pack much lighter in the future.

Lets hope this summer weather keeps on coming!

Cheers,

David Lussier
ACMG-IFMGA Mountain Guide
www.summitmountainguides.com