[MCR] Morro NE Descent

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Aug 24 17:40:49 EDT 2011

Went to have a look at the NE descent on Morro Peak near Jasper today.
I always remember it being very grotty, loose and somewhat exposed
and wanted to see if there was an easier way possible.
Some parties descend this route to gain access to Morro canyon or as a loop.

I started up the ridge at the cold sulfur springs just east of Morro
slabs. This is also the true Overlander trail start. The ridge was
gained and followed to high point then down into the col on the NE
side of Morro. The usual "cairned" trail goes up and left a bit and
works up some dirty down sloping ledges covered in gravel.I also
tried just to the right of the col to look at where a tree island
comes down lowest on the cliff. This as well was exposed but for only
a 40' section.

Better still....from the low point in the col head left SSW, and
descend slightly (or traverse on one of the many game trails) till
you can find a break in the cliffs to gain the treed slopes again.
(287767) I then just headed back right and up steeply on faint sheep
trails until I intersected the main trail coming from the summit.
(approx 5400ft) I marked this intersection fairly well.

If descending from this marked junction, just head right and down
on game trails until you can look down and see cliffs getting
smaller, eventually the cliff turns to scree.. The further right or
south you go, the more the cliffs peter out.
It is about 3-400 metres down and right.

The main trail from the summit of Morro Peak heading NE spits you out
on top of the routine descent which is somewhat exposed and loose. I
have asked a few other guides and locals and most can only remember
that it is as described as above, loose and grotty....

This alternative route is non technical (with good route finding)
with little to no exposure.

From the col there are trails that lead down into a draw or you can
gain the rib just to the east and come down to the Cold Sulfur
springs pullout. In reverse it makes a nice hike up Mt Morro using
the standard trail on the SW side as the descent.

Peter Amann
Mountain Guide

Peter Amann

pamann at incentre.net