[MCR] Rockies, Lyell Mons, Aug 25-28

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Aug 29 13:40:36 EDT 2011

I just got out from the 4 day Icefall Traverse. We had excellent weather and conditions. The temperatures overnight didn't get much below zero (-1 Aug 27 Lyell Hut 2860m, 0 Aug 28 Mons Hut 2400m) but provided a good solid freeze. When the snow did get moist, the foot penetration was never more than boot top even in the afternoon. The glaciers are still snow covered to about 2500m.
A separate party climbed Mt Forbes on Aug 27 and reported good conditions. The north face of Forbes is still snowy with little ice showing through. Picture attached.
Larry Dolecki
Mountain Guide
www.icefall.ca