[MCR] South Coast Ice

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Dec 29 01:53:01 EST 2011

Hi all,

I took a drive over the Duffy Lake road today. It was 1 degree at the pass and 3 degrees at the rambles parking. It looked like some ok skiing high above the road but it would be about a 300m elevation gain to get to the goods. There were lots of cars at all the parking lots.

I was watching for ice climbs and saw a few. The grade 2/2+ gullies north of Cayoosh Creek Campground on the east side of the highway looked like the best climbing up there. The rain has stripped the snow from most of the climbs, and there was at least 400m vertical meters of ice that reached as low as Cayoosh Creek.

The Rambles had several lines that would be climbable, but without snow covering the creek bottoms between the vertical section I would be very cautious of ice and debris sliding down the frozen creek beds...not to mention ice detaching while you are on it due to warm temps . The Tube had melted out at the top. Carlsberg looked climbable but detached from the rock (i wouldn't get on it). Syncronicity was missing a pitch or two in the middle ramp section. Loose lady was skinny but climbable to the final pillar which looked thin from the highway view. Nothing was in the Bridge River Canyon.

Cheers,
Conny Amelunxen
MG