[MCR] Rockies, Johnston Canyon

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Feb 1 20:38:28 EST 2011

I instructed in Johnston Canyon today, Feb 2nd. This morning's - 26 C
made for a refreshing walk in. Given the forecasted rise in
temperature I pointed out to my crew that we would tightly limit our
exposure to the hanging daggers in the central part of the area. Sure
enough as soon as the sun swung onto them, at 11:30, they started to
creak, crack and groan. Banff recorded a rise of temperature to -13
C. The sun had some punch and started to melt out the screws that it
hit squarely. From noon to 2:00 pm, when the sun was it it's most
direct, we witnessed three pillar collapses, all from the safety of
the climber's right side ice. The smallest was the equivalent of two
full sized deep freezers and the largest the size of my Subaru
Outback. It was a strong teaching aid and proof yet again of how
daggers don't like rapid changes of temperature.

www.barryblanchard.ca
www.yamnuska.com