[MCR] Rockies: Louise Falls slough/avalanche (Feb 16, 2011)

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Feb 17 00:37:16 EST 2011

Rockies: Louise Falls slough/avalanche (Feb 16, 2011)

I got a bit of a surprise today while leading the pillar on Louise
Falls. A good-sized slough/avalanche rocketed over my head when I was
about halfway up the pillar itself. As for size, it was probably only
0.5 but had some force and definitely contained harder, larger chunks.
It flowed primarily to my right (by a couple meters) but filled the
back of my jacket and hood with snow. If I was a few body lengths
higher and pulling onto the ledge, I bet it could have knocked me off.
Once on top and in the trees, I discovered it had started from the
shallow, treed gully directly above the route. I am unsure of the
trigger (no sun and the afternoon snow squalls had not yet begun), but
it had scoured the loose snow and looked like it took a couple of the
snow mushrooms with it (hence the chunks). Despite being a small
feature, the constant weekly storms must have loaded it enough to
produce a loose snow avalanche.

It has traditionally been general consensus that Louise Falls does not
have avalanche hazard above it (the walk-off descent definitely has
avalanche hazard but that is a different story), however, many
avalanche professionals have been surprised this winter already and
this incident only adds to my concern regarding this winter's snowpack
in the Rockies, particularly for ice climbers.

Sean Isaac
ACMG Alpine Guide