[MCR] Fitzsimmons Range 110122

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Jan 23 13:04:46 EST 2011

Hope folks on the Coast are enjoying the sunshine.

Out with an AST1 group yesterday in the Musical Bumps and had a chance to look at the current condition of the mid-January crust and early January surface hoar layer.

At 1800m we found the crust to be heavily laminated and breaking down, with up to 20cm of storm snow over top.

Of interest were very consistent "pops" on two buried surface hoar layers. One down 54cm and the other 84. Both failed as "moderate" compression test results and slid easily on the surface hoar. The upper layer consisted of well-preserved 2-3mm surface hoar; the lower layer was well-preserved 3-8mm surface hoar and showed more willingness to slide after the pop.

Currently the crust seems to be providing a very strong bridge at 1800m, but both of the layers below appear quite weak. We did note a significant natural slab avalanche at slightly higher elevation on the north side of Helm Ridge in Garibaldi Park, date of failure unknown. It appears that a cornice failed, producing a wide (600m?) crown that also stepped down further as the slide progressed.

This would appear to support local bulletin cautions regarding travel near or below the large cornices that have formed in the backcountry.

M. Sulkers
CAA Professional Member
ACMG Wilderness Guide